Thursday, December 16, 2010

 

The Top 10 Most Interesting UFO Books of 2010

010 saw a curious crop of books related to UFOs and related phenomena offered to a public eager to know more about their subject of choice. Most were awful. In fact, with the proliferation of books published direct-to-digital, the access to inaccurate and pointless information is better than ever. Any books that noted "pyramids," "Atlantis" and "beamships" in their titles, subheads or tables of contents were immediately excluded from eligibility in this list because they really didn't add anything to knowledge about the nature of the UFO phenomenon. (Similarly, "Federation of Light," "emissaries" and "channelling.")

The good news is that some new books published in 2010 were outstanding, and definitely fill a void that needs filling. Curiously, many were chronologies or lists of cases or events, providing documentation and sources that might have otherwise gone astray.

Here are my picks for the Top 10 Most Interesting (nb: not necessarily "Best") UFO Books of 2010:

1. Kean, Leslie. UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go On the Record. Harmony Books: NY.
This one is the best of the year. Well-written, informative, and it infuriated debunkers as well. Couldn't ask for much more.
http://www.amazon.com/UFOs-Generals-Pilots-Government-Officials/dp/0307716848/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292516300&sr=1-1

2. Vallee, Jacques and Aubeck, Chris. Wonders in the Sky. Penguin: NY.
A sequel of sorts to Passport to Magonia, Vallee teamed up with Aubeck to produce a highly detailed cross between The Book of the Damned and the Fortean Times' Classical Corner.
http://www.amazon.com/Wonders-Sky-Unexplained-Objects-Antiquity/dp/1585428205/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292516355&sr=1-1

3. Feindt, Carl. UFOs and Water. Xlibris Corporation: http://www.xlibris.com
A paper version of his wonderful website, Feindt has produced a self-published work similar in nature to that of Vallee, listing hundreds of cases where UFOs and aliens seem to have an attraction to water.
http://www.amazon.com/UFOs-Water-Physical-Accounts-Eyewitnesses/dp/145009533X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292516384&sr=1-1

4. Friedman, Stanton and Marden, Kathleen. Science Was Wrong. New Page Books: Pompton Plains, NJ.
Technically not a UFO book, as such, it's even found in "Science" sections of bookstores. Friedman and Marden authored alternating chapters on a variety of science's shortsightedness, including one on UFOs.
http://www.amazon.com/Science-Was-Wrong-Inventions-Impossible/dp/1601631022/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292516412&sr=1-1

5. Randle, Kevin, Crash: When UFOs Fall From the Sky. New Page Books: Franklin Lakes, NJ.
Another chronology (do you see the trend here?), this time regarding stories and references to alleged UFO crashes. It's remarkably comprehensive, including many previously unknown sources.
http://www.amazon.com/Crash-History-Incidents-Conspiracies-Cover-Ups/dp/1601631006/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292516457&sr=1-1

6. Birnes, William. Aliens in America. Adams Media: Avon, Massachusetts.
Focusing on about 20 major cases in the USA during the past 60 years, Birnes gives a short overview plus some speculation, and adds travel and tourism tips for those wanting to visit, say, New Hampshire.
http://www.amazon.com/Aliens-America-Hunters-Extraterrestrial-Hotpspots/dp/1440506280/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292516482&sr=1-1

7. Goyette, Danielle. OVNIs. Editions Michel Quintin: Waterloo, Quebec.
The only foreign language book included in the list, this is part of a series on paranormal phenomena, looking at cases in Quebec. It is part biography of ufologiste Francois Bourbeau, and part sighting chronology.
http://www.amazon.com/OVNIS-Danielle-Goyette/dp/2894354673/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292516514&sr=1-1

8. Bullard, Thomas. The Myth and Mystery of UFOs. University Press of Kansas: Lawrence, KS.
Anything by Bullard is a welcome addition to lists like this, especially for his writing, which is literary and more erudite than most. The book is less nuts-and-bolts and more introspective than most other UFO works.
http://www.amazon.com/Myth-Mystery-UFOs-Thomas-Bullard/dp/0700617299/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292516552&sr=1-1

9. Pilkington, Mark. Mirage Men. Skyhorse Publishing: NY
Included for its slant on the popular interest in conspiracies, Pilkington has produced a work which asks the question, "What?" Is it possible that ufologists are the sane ones?
http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-Men-Adventure-Espionage-Psychological/dp/1602398003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292516589&sr=1-1

10. Imbrogno, Philip. Ultraterrestrial Contact: A Paranormal Investigator's Explorations into the Hidden Abduction Epidemic. Llewellyn: Woodbury, MN.
Not quite as good as Files From the Edge, this book is a kind of autobiography of a ufologist as Imbrogno describes his personal investigations into UFO reports and other paranormal experiences, some very weird indeed.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultraterrestrial-Contact-Paranormal-Investigators-Explorations/dp/0738719595/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292516619&sr=1-1

Yes, I know there were others. Some were pretty good. But for one reason or another, or simply because I couldn't decide on just 10, they were left out. Oh, and I didn't think it ethical to include my own book on UFOs published in 2010 in the list, but there's a link here if anyone is curious.

Labels:


Comments:
I would also be interested in the top 10 UFO books you read in 2010, regardless of publication date.
 
I like you blog but can I buy them here in your site?

Please check out my site its about top ten mosts http://topten10most.blogspot.com/
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
im robert thorson why dont you email me and tell me why im insane and why i film only planes and helos. yes i block people on my youtube sights. cause the same jealous morons keep attacking me and calling me and call me insane. im alot more sane than most anyone trust that. i been filming ufos since 2006 pal/ why dont you bother asking me question insted of calling me names ? ever think of that. werwe both looking for the same thing ! now grow up and lets have a real talk for once pal write to me in person !!
 
i want to talk to you in person , so write me put me on a show if you have one ! will see how insane im not. im willing to even call you on the phone pal. i will talk to anyone at any time to prove i film ufos and im no b.s.er and quit calling me insane wtf is the deal with that ? are you tha to afraid of me or that jealous that you have to talk behind my back ? i will expect contact from you soon to explane yourself , good day
 
@youwhore1

> tell me why im insane

EXHIBIT A: You're stalking me on the internet.

> lets have a real talk for once

EXHIBIT B: I have already posted my opinions of your videos on youtube but you deleted my comments and blocked me from your channels.

> we'we both looking for the same thing!

Does your employer provide drug coverage and counselling?
 
Robert, if you want to normalise relations with me, unblock me from your channels. I tried to leave a comment a week or so ago and was not allowed! So if you are sincere about wanting my attention, do the sensible thing. You may also send messages to my youtube inbox.
 
hey terry i dont expect you to ever talk to me like an adult and i dont think you ever will talk to me on the phone or on a show.
your just one of the few haters i have that cant stand that i film so many real ufos. i happen to have alot of followers and alot of people agree with me that i do film real ufos. why dont you find everyone who agrees with me and say crap to them and about them as well ? it may take a few months , since i have hundreds or thousands of people who do agree with me. thats a fact terry , live it and work with me not against me.my some of my ufo footage was on the news and i have a small clip thats in a movie trailer called battle la. so someone thinks im filming real ufos dont they ?
 
hey i will unblock you from my theufokidfresno channel first and see what happens. you guyt by terry the censor on youtube ? i tend to forget things i get a hundred emails a day so i get confused.
 
If any of that is true (especially the movie thing), you can send the links to my youtube inbox and I will have a look at them.
I have no idea what you mean by me working with you. You film airplanes. I call them airplanes. You delete my comments and block my access. I don't think I'm the problem.
Now, this isn't my blog; it is that of sensible Canadian and UFO master Chris Rutkowski. If you want to discuss the current post, Robert, please do. If you want to go off-topic, send it to my youtube inbox.
 
how do i find your channel anyways
i cant find your channel on youtube to unblock you pal. write to me on my new channel theufokidfresno and if you cant go one that channel write to my thejackalsarmy channel i dont think i blocked anyone from that one yet. i have trouble with sitting here too long so if i cant find something im looking for soon i just dont have the patience.
 
hey how do you know there just planes ? some dont make any noise some of them the lights are all wrong to be planes. and your not here to see these things in person are you ? if you saw the things around here in person in the sky for yourself you would i promise change your mind.
 
this is the original video trailer battle la , you will see my footage for 2 seconds at
1.27 - 1.29 mark you may want to watch it better at the link provided in the discription of video. but it will take a while to upload it heres the link to my page of that video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6mRsEHGPfY

i also have a person who works for mufon that backs some of my videos. hes themufonman on youtube.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?