Sunday, April 23, 2017


Significant Canadian UFO Cases in 1967

From all accounts, 1967 was a big year for UFOs in Canada. It was a major wave year around the world, and Canada was a part of it.

Not only was there a large number of UFO sightings in Canada that year, but many of the cases were truly remarkable, with many Close Encounters, reputable witnesses, and objects that seemed to defy explanation. In addition, many of the cases were intensively investigated by military officials, police and other recognized authority.

One writer called 1967: "The Year We Were Invaded Without Knowing It." (

In addition, 1967 was also the year the Department of National Defence transferred its files to the National Research Council. It was believed that most of the reports did not pose a threat to national security, but that rather “a number of investigations of the reports suggest the possibility of UFOs exhibiting some unique scientific information or advanced technology which could possibly contribute to scientific or technical research.”

Also, an official memo dated November 1967 listed three cases that were "unsolved": Falcon Lake, Duhamel. and Shag Harbour.

In a two-part blog post elsewhere, I gave a list of all known Canadian UFO cases in 1967, with citations and/or sources.

But below, I have pulled out details on a few dozen Canadian UFO cases from 1967 that are the most interesting or unusual, and in some cases, well-documented.

Significant Canadian UFO cases reported in 1967

7 January 1967; 11:00-11:05 p.m. (AST) 
Goose Bay AFB, Labrador
Goose AFB Radar Air Traffic Control (RATCON) radar detected target at 30 miles SW, when target was at 4-6 miles S traveling at very high speed, Goose RATCON notified ADC radar site FPS-93 ground radar operators at the 641at AC&W Squadron, which tracked target at 180° (S0 degrees for first 8 sweeps at 200 knots (230 mph) then 4 sweeps at 2,100 knots (2,400 mph).  Target lost over Goose AFB.  Radars on different frequencies detected the object.  USAF MAC C-97 [C-54?] pilot Lt Col Gorecki was on approach to Goose runway 27 [heading W] when he sighted moving star-like steady white light visually at estimated 5,000 to 7,000 ft overtaking his 160-knot [180 knots?] aircraft [at 7,000 ft? headed N ?].  [Object heading 015 degrees True at high speed, disappeared in the N.]  (Sparks; Blue Book files;  NICAP;  Project 1947) 5+ mins 3+ witnesses radar-visual)

21 February 1967
Yorkton, SK
“Sighted object near CKDS Channel 3 TV Tower, 12 miles west of Yorkton. The object appeared to be three or four hundred yards in the air about 70 degrees to the left of their car. It was a bright whitish blue with orange and red flashing out of it. It made no noticeable noise. It hovered for two or three minutes then shot north at a terrific speed for about half a mile where it again hovered for six or seven minutes. The observers continued to STN Yorkton as the object remained hovering, A light was seen to the west of the STN by Commissionaire Mr. Young when Miss McGirr returned here. By this time the object was fading out slowly to the west.”

26 April 1967 9:30 p.m. EDT
Kitchener, Ontario
Brian Dorscht saw a small cylinder, estimated 3 feet in diameter and 5 feet tall, with flashing lights. The object landed, deploying six legs when it was about 4 feet from the ground. A whirring sound during landing stopped once the object was at rest. Ground impressions (physical traces) were found at the landing site. (NICAP report form and unidentified newspaper clipping dated 9/8/67 in NICAP files.)

28 April 1967 9:00 p.m. EDT
Toronto, Ontario
A real estate agent and occupants of three other cars saw a shiny, metallic-appearing flattened sphere an estimated 20 feet in diameter and 15 feet tall, with a band of alternate non-blinking red and green body lights around the middle. The object hovered just above tree-top level for about 2 minutes, then dropped down about 10 feet. The witness became frightened and fled before the object disappeared. (NICAP report form; U.F.O. Investigator, May-June 1967, p. 3.)

7 May 1967; 2:00 a.m. MST
Edmonton, Alberta
Ricky Banyard, a 14-year-old boy and four others, including Glenn Coates, saw a spherical object with spinning top and bottom and with red and green lights (body lights) which they followed and observed for 4 hours through binoculars. As it hovered at about 200 feet altitude, a "white ribbon of light" (light beam) was emitted from the bottom of the object illuminating the ground. A "muffled whistling noise" was heard as the object hovered. Then a "screaming noise" like a jet engine starting up was heard, all lights went out, and the object took off with 7-8 explosive sounds. Black streaks were found on the charred road surface (physical traces). (Edmonton Journal, 5/8/67, copy in Donald E. Keyhoe Archives files; U.F.O. Investigator, Vol. IV, No. 1, May-June 1967, p. 3; APRO Bulletin, May-June 1967, p. 7; Phillips, 1975, p. 48.)

20 May 1967, shortly after noon
Falcon Lake, Manitoba
Witness approached landed object, violet light, rushing air sound, voices heard; experienced severe burns on chest, weight loss, and vomiting ((Hall, 2001, pp. 209-212; Clark, 1996, pp. 191-200; Craig, 1995, pp. 14-27; Gillmor, 1969, p. 316, Case 22; Story, 1980, pp. 230-31; International UFO Reporter, Nov.-Dec. 1987, pp. 21- T, 24; Journal of UFO Studies, New Series, Vol. 5, pp. 1-34; Flying Saucer Review, 1981, vol. 27, no. 1,pp. 14-16; FSR, vol. 27 no. 2, pp. 15-18; FSR, vol. 27 no. 3, pp. 21-15; Winnipeg Free Press 5/23/67; The Tribune, Winnipeg, Manitoba 5/22/67).

Summer 1967
Dennis Leger, 12 ans, and Michel Montreuil, 15 ans, were riding their bicycles across a farm field when they suddenly came upon a “stationary transparent vehicle” hovering about 15 feet above the ground. Inside the transparent object the boys could see three black creatures “like Michelin man” about 4 feet tall. One was standing by itself on the left while the others were sitting on the right.
Source: Donald Cyr

3 June 1967, 10:00 pm
Lake Nipissing, Ontario
A Lake Nipissing, Ontario buoy tender observed green and white lights between two small islands. Thinking another boatman might be in trouble, the buoy tender headed toward the lights. He was about 100 feet away when the lights rose from the water 'with a whoosh' and sped off into the night.

[NB: Not a UFO case, but still a significant development in Canadian ufology! In 1967, for a creative project honouring Canada’s Centennial, a proposal was made by the town council of St. Paul, Alberta, to build the world's first UFO Landing Pad as a unique landmark. The Government of Canada approved the project and was so impressed, during the project’s grand opening on June 3, 1967, St. Paul was declared the Centennial Capital of Canada. During its dedication, then Minister of Defence Paul Hellyer cut the ribbon to officially open the structure, an interesting foreshadowing of Hellyer’s claims in recent years that the U.S. government is covering up the existence of alien beings and that tall white aliens walk the Las Vegas Strip. Weighing just over 130 tons, the large flat concrete landing pad contains a time capsule to be opened on the 100-year anniversary of the pad’s opening in 2067. A large map of Canada made from stones from each of the provinces adorns the rear of the pad. In the 1990’s, Mayor Paul Langevin officially opened an adjacent UFO tourist information centre to welcome visitors. Some of the items on display at the center were purchased from the J. Allen Hynek Center for UFO Studies. The St. Paul center maintains a toll-free number for people to call and report their own sightings. The hotline is 1-888-See-UFOs, (1-888-733-8367).]

5 June 1967; 1:00 p.m. CDT
Selkirk, Manitoba
An RCMP officer and a RCAF squadron leader saw a silvery circular or slightly oblong object flying rapidly to the north with a wobbling motion. The object was visible for about 15 seconds. (Winnipeg Free Press, Manitoba, 6/29/67, copy in NICAP files; Winnipeg Free Press 6/7/67 with date of sighting indicated as June 6, copy in NICAP files; case reported to the University of Colorado Project).

13 June 1967 02:30
Caledonia, Ontario
Cigar shaped craft with four evenly spaced small windows, 36' long; smaller disc 15' diameter. Both hovered 12' above ground. three small men, miner helmets on ground under boom on cigar. Ground marks. At 2:30 a.m. Carmen Cuneo, a night shift worker at a factory in Caledonia, Ontario saw two objects near the factory's scrap heap and dump area: a large cigar-shaped object on the ground, 35 feet long by 15 feet thick, and a hovering disc-shaped object about 15 feet in diameter. The smaller object, tilted up at a 45-degree angle, had a row of orange-lighted windows around its periphery. In the larger object were four square windows emitting a pulsating orange light, and from one end of it projected upward at a 45 degree angle a rod 15 feet long, bearing a large red light at the end. Beneath this light moved three small humanoid figures about three feet tall, wearing miner's hats with small lights on them. They were picking up and examining small objects on the ground with quick, jerky movements. After watching for 10 minutes, Cuneo called co-worker Marvin Hannigan to see it, but by the time Hannigan arrived the humanoids were gone. The two craft started very slowly to rise straight up into the air. After they reached a height of 50 feet they departed at about 40-45 mph without making a sound. At the landing site branches were broken and the brush charred, and an oily liquid was found on the ground.

18 June 1967; (0430Z 19 June 1967)
Shoal Lake, Ontario
A family crossing the lake by boat saw a shiny, metallic-appearing oval object with a slight rise on top. The object was an estimated 30 feet in diameter and 15 feet thick. When the object approached the witnesses' boat, it took on an orange tinge. As the object descended, the tops of trees on the shoreline were illuminated. Twice the family approached the object, but retreated as the object swept toward their boat. No sound was heard. Others on shore were alerted during the 15-minute sighting, and one person reported static on the radio (EM effects). Trees with wilted leaves on top were later noted (physical effects). The incident was very thoroughly investigated by the RCMP and RCAF. NRC Case N67/71. (Bondarchuk, 1979, p. 31-34.)

30 June 1967 18:00
Thompson, Manitoba    
A woman was walking through her house when she heard an odd beeping sound. It was repeated at regular intervals of about one second, and she wondered what was causing it. She looked out her kitchen window, and saw dirt and loose pieces of paper flying in a large circle around her house. Outside, she found her husband, who had just come home, and five children staring up into the sky. A young boy was holding her eight-year-old daughter down on the ground. Up in the sky a rectangular object hung in the air, slowly rotating counter-clockwise and showing alternating silver and black sides. It was black on its lower surface, and made no noise. The object began moving off at an angle, stopped and hovered, then continued towards the southeast. Until this time the circle of dirt and dust had persisted, but it now died down. The whirlwind was confined to the area immediately around their house and did not affect any other houses on the street. When the object moved away, the dirt fell to the ground. Going to the children, the woman found they were calming down except her daughter, who seemed dazed. The boy explained that the five of them had been playing in the yard when the object first appeared overhead. As they watched, her daughter had been levitated into the air, apparently caused by the UFO in the sky. By the time the other children had come to her aid she was about one meter off the ground and her clothes had edged up her body. Her daughter said she did not remember anything from the time she felt the wind until the time she recovered after being dragged back to the ground.

3 July 1967, 6:30 pm
Nanton, Alberta
Warren Smith and two companions were prospecting when they noticed a shiny, disc-shaped craft in the air, estimated to be about 25 feet in diameter, and about 2,000 feet in altitude, two miles away from them and approaching from the east. Smith took two photos of it as it continued on, losing altitude, passing behind some trees and then rising again. The photos were examined by both Canadian and American authorities and were described as some of the best photos on record at the time. An analysis by DND: oblate ellipsoid or torus, 40-50 feet diameter, 11.5-14 feet depth, metallic, shiny, minimum distance 2000 feet. The witnesses signed statutory declarations to the effect that the photos were not a hoax; if proven false, they would have been subject to prosecution under the Canada Evidence Act. Nevertheless, the USAF-sponsored Condon Report felt it could also have been a hand-thrown model and a hoax. Dr. J. Allen Hynek stated: “best daylight disc photograph I have personally investigated.” That says it all! Definitely one of the best of the early days.
Canadian UFO Report, Volume 1, #7, 1970
Case 57, in the Condon Report,

15 July 1967, 5:00 pm
Shaunavon, SK
A school bus driver said she took photographs of a bowl-shaped, dull aluminum object with an upturned rim. The photos were sold to several magazines for an undisclosed sum. An UFO investigator found that the object in the photographs was identical in appearance to a “seismographic plug” used to cap oil wells, found commonly throughout the surrounding area.
Winnipeg Tribune, December 8, 1967, page 1

5 August 1967
Duhamel, Alberta
Seven circular rings, ranging in diameter from 31 to 35 feet, were found in a grassy field. One was on sloping ground, and one ring smashed across a willow fence. Each ring was about six inches wide. Military investigators were dispatched to the site for an in-depth examination. In their final report, they noted that a “tremendous weight” would have been required to make the rings, at least three times that of a normal truck tire, and consistent with a “large aircraft or, presumably, small spacecraft.” Canadian UFO Report, Volume 1, #7, pp.. 25-26. Department of National Defence, Suffield Memorandum, #49/67

[NB: This could be considered the first documented "crop circle," found long before the phenomenon became popular in the 1980s and 1990s. What's most interesting is that the Duhamel circles were officially investigated and taken seriously by the military, something that has not been teh case in "modern" crop formations.]

15 August 1967 07:30 
Port Perry, Ontario    
At a farm area a young boy heard a loud oscillating sound, going over a nearby hill he saw a landed disc shaped craft on four metallic legs, it was actually hovering just above the ground. On a platform around its perimeter, were seated eight to ten little men about three-foot tall, they wore tight fitting brown clothing. A depressed 12-foot circular area was found on the ground later.

23 August 1967; 4:00 a.m. EDT
Joyceville, Ontario
A man drove down a side road to investigate a green light he saw in a field. His headlights illuminated a large, metallic-appearing disc on or near the ground. It was shaped like an inverted bowl and had three legs. The witness saw three beings about 3-4 feet tall and wearing helmets (humanoids). They appeared to be gathering specimens. When the beings noticed the witness, they "flew" (floated) into the object and it took off silently at high speed. Burn marks and impressions (physical traces) were found at the site. Reportedly, the police at nearby Perth had a similar sighting. (Hall, 2001, p. 480; MUFON UFO Journal, August 1987, p. 19.)

23 August 1967; 9:45 p.m. EDT
Halifax, Nova Scotia
A commercial pilot saw a series of white lights that flashed on and off at 1-2 second intervals. Ground radar showed a target at the approximate location of the lights, and said that the object was in the sky and lower than 50,000 feet. The pilot lost sight of the lights after about a minute, but Halifax radar tracked the objects as they moved from 36 to 16 miles from the aircraft and the blips were still on radar after the aircraft continued on its way. The object also was reported by a separate ground witness. (Letter from witness, 8/31/67, NICAP files; U.F.O. Investigator, Vol. IV, No. 2, Oct. 1967, p. 1; Weinstein, 1999, p. 36, from Flammonde, 1976.)

28 August 1967   12:45 am
Rivers, Manitoba
There were six witnesses, three of whom were military personnel: LAC J. Hebert, LAC K. Taylor and CPL A Fedun, all stationed at CFB Rivers, plus civilians Judy Ross, Leslie Dowdell and Jacqueline Dowdell, all of Rivers. Hebert and Ross were driving one mile east of Rivers, Taylor was 8 miles east, Fedun was in the town, and the Dowdells were at a different location in the town. In other words, we have six observers scattered across four different locations. Two more military personnel, CPL K. McArthur and G. Stefanson, a Commissionaire, both at two additional different locations on the Rivers base, reported hearing an “explosion” that rattled windows and created “vibrations.” LAC Heberts car detained at ME section. Body repairman states light dust on top of car is unlike any other in his experience. There was some “bubbling” of paint on top. This incident reported to TCHQ by base duty officer.

29 August 1967  11:10 p.m. EDT
Oka-sur-le-Lac (Laurentians), Quebec
At night, a roar attracted the attention of a child, Yvan Guindon, who went to the window. The cat and the dog seemed frightened. There was a blinding object near the ground. (A ray of light caused temporary blindness to the child for approximately three minutes.) The object measured 12 x 30 feet 8 feet from the ground and 150 feet from the window. It was wrapped in an umbrella of light and it used a beam to explore the environment. It made a great start. The mother of the child believes she heard the sound of three trees that were broken by the object. Reference: Henri Bordeleau, I chased the pilots of flying saucers, chap. 3; media; Tuesday, January 5, 2016; Close Encounter; J. Mesnard, C. Pavy, Spatial phenomena 16. Source: GARPAN

5 September 1967  12:30 am
Taber, Alberta
18-year-old Evan Evanson was driving on Highway 36, one mile south of Highway 3, when he noticed his pick-up truck was running hot and he stopped to let it cool. While he sat in his truck, listening to the radio, he saw a large green object that looked like two flattened bells one above the other. It was noiseless but beeping sounds started coming from the radio. The object disappeared abruptly.
Canadian UFO Report, Volume 1, #7, 1970, p.26, (Calgary Herald, 9/5/67, copies in NICAP files.)

4 October 1967 23:10
Shag Harbour, Nova Scotia
At 11:20 p.m. Atlantic Daylight Time at least one and most likely two separate UFOs dove or crashed into the ocean near Bon Portage Island, in the area of Shag Harbour, Nova Scotia.  A little bit after 2300 an unknown object with four bright lights flashing in sequence and estimated at 60 feet in diameter, was observed hovering over the ocean near this small fishing village. Suddenly the mysterious object tilted at a 45-degree angle and then rapidly descended to the sea below. Next there was an explosive noise and a bright flash of light. Calls were made to the Barrington Passage RCMP detachment. Initially, the authorities suspected that a conventional aircraft had probably gone down, and so the immediate concern was for the rescue of possible survivors. When three RCMP officers first arrived, they could still observe the mystery object afloat about a half-mile out from shore. One of them, Constable Ron Pond had seen the UFO before it went down, and was baffled by its unusual appearance. Out on the ocean, the object gave a pale yellow illumination and there was dense yellow foam on the water. When a coast guard lifeboat and several fishing boats managed to get to the site, the object had submerged beneath the waters, although sulfurous smelling yellow foam continued to emerge from the waters, creating an estimated 80 ft wide and half a mile long slick on the surface. Investigators came up with the following discoveries: There was a secret military recovery attempt, it appears, at a site some 25 miles up the coast near the community of Shelburne Nova Scotia. Reportedly, the military secretly watched as another mystery object beneath the waters approached and seemed to be making repairs to the first. In the meantime, a Soviet submarine violated the then 12-mile international shore limit, in an apparent effort to get close to the action. But then the two mystery objects began to move off together, heading towards the Gulf of Maine, where they allegedly resurfaced and flew off, witnessed in the vicinity of Yarmouth, Maine. The same night as the Shag Harbour "crash" there were several other substantial UFO sightings reported over eastern Canada. A fishing vessel, with 18 men onboard (the M V Nickerson) observed four UFOs off of Sambro, Nova Scotia. They even had solid returns on their Decca radar. This occurred about a half hour before Shag Harbour. Also prior to Shag Harbour, the pilot and co-pilot of Air Canada Flight 305 westbound between Sherbrooke and St Jean, Quebec, reported UFO activity.

13 October 1967,  1:50 am
Elnora, Alberta
The object was sighted one mile N of Elnora by several of the train's crew. Elnora is about 35 miles SE of Red Deer. Engineer William (Ben) Benwick): "If I'd had a sling-shot, I could have knocked it down". It was an unidentified flying object that Benwick and other crew members of the CNR 443-North speed freight say followed them early that Friday morning. Mr. Benwick, of Calgary, said the object flew alongside the train at a distance of about 100 yards. On one occasion, he said it dived toward the train and came much closer. At first he had been reluctant to report the incident to a newspaper. "I thought everybody would take me for a nut," he said. He told The Journal that the train was going at about 50 mph at the time and that the UFO followed along. When they stopped at Alix to drop off a car, it stopped also and "Just hung there." It then followed the train all the way into Mirror. Benwick described the UFO as being a little more than the length of a boxcar in diameter, about 40 feet. It had colored lights around the rim which flashed red, green, orange, and yellow. Its top cone was black, and underneath there was a circle of glowing light, about 10 feet in diameter. "When we got to Mirror, I told the operator there about it, and he asked what I had been drinking. I told him: 'There it is, right in front of you,' and he just said: 'My God'." The CNR operator at Mirror, Larry Mazure, later told Mr. Benwick that the UFO hovered about 15 miles east of Mirror for two hours more before it left. The same night, Mrs. David Soppit, who lives about five miles west of Mirror, reported to The Journal that she had heard a humming or whirring noise, and when she looked out the window she saw an extremely fast moving light in the sky. The following night, the engineer of another freight train, Hubert Schmidt, also reported the sighting of a UFO.

22 October 1967; 10:00 pm
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Two real estate salesmen saw three brilliant, 2-3 foot diameter, pulsating red lights floating over a field, apparently body lights on a larger craft. A car stopped with six people who also saw the lights. Two similar objects (apparent craft with body lights) appeared, one illuminating the low cloud cover as it descended, and took up positions relative to the first object (rendezvous). The three objects then silently moved away in formation, changing positions to form a triangle. Through binoculars, they could see the shape of the craft behind the lights against the lighter background of the sky, resembling rectangular masses of black glass. Dipping and bobbing, the formation approached power lines, lighting the lines with a red glow as they flew by. They moved to a TV tower area, now appearing as three pulsating orange-red lights. After 5 minutes, the objects broke formation and flew away to the northwest in single file. Physical traces, including small footprints, were found in the field at the site where the object had been seen hovering. One witness reported a bad headache, leg ache, burning on the face, chills, and other physiological effects suggestive of exposure to ionizing radiation. (Bondarchuk, 1979, p. 47-50.)

25 October 1967; 3:15 pm
Wentworth Valley, Nova Scotia
Raymond Putnam, rear brakeman on "The Cabot" with Canadian National Railways, was travelling between Halifax and Moncton. He opened the upper half of the door on the left side of the last car, to get a breath of air and glanced up the side of the train by Wentworth Station and saw over the trees a UFO. At first he though it was something falling from the sky because there was green vapor billowing from the top of it that he later thought might be the exhaust end of the object when it was in flight. The UFO was tracking alongside the train at treetop level, negating Putnam's first impression that it was falling. The brakeman tried to watch it but at this point it was giving off such a terrific light or radiation that although it was daylight he had trouble looking directly at it. He put his hands up to cover his face and peered through his fingers, first with one eye, then the other. When he looked away, he had difficulty believing what he was seeing and would look again to reassure himself that he was not imagining it. Fascinated, Putnam continued to watch the UFO as it tagged along beside the train and sometimes just behind it, but still off to the side. Sometimes it would swoop upwards to the tops of the mountains a bit away from the train then would come back to it as the train clacked through more moderate terrain. As it drifted away it seemed to bank, like an aeroplane, "at a 45-degree angle with its rear-top end to the left and later rolled on to a quarter turn so the flat sides were up and down.” Suddenly a jet dove down from a high altitude and converged on the object, coming up on it from behind and directly toward the “exhaust end” of the UFO. The object leveled out and a short thin exhaust issued from behind it. Strangely now the object began to elongate turning into a cigar shape, then a cigar shaped cloud, then a long cloud. The cloud/UFO accelerated away to the west and to the left of the sun with the jet in hot pursuit. Two other witnesses. 35 mins. Medical effects. (MUFON's Nova Scotia Director, Steve MacLean, Don Ledger)

17 November 1967 17:45
Calgary, Alberta   
David Seewalt, 13, started a 3 minute walk home at 1745, but did not arrive until 1830 when he dashed in and tried to hide under the bed, saying "I've been chased by a flying saucer!" He seemed to be in shock and one of his shoes was missing, found later in the road nearby. Five months later, he had a nightmare, after which he told his father he knew what had happened to the missing time. Under regressive hypnosis, the boy recounted having been abducted into a low flying UFO by means of an orange light beam; inside the object he was undressed and examined by a being with "a rough brown skin like crocodiles." It was assisted by at least 3 other similar creatures and they communicated with each other in voices that sounded "like a kazoo." Their hands had only 4 fingers. David was wheeled into an "operating like" room for the examination; at the conclusion, they put his clothes back on and beamed him back into the field where he had been abducted.

29 November 1967 02:00 
Yarmouth (Quinan?), Nova Scotia    
Percy McBride saw an object the size of a car with a rounded back, a pointed end, and two or three lights (body lights). It descended and landed in a clearing in woods for about 5 minutes. When the witness called out, the object took off quietly with flame and lights. While the object was on the ground, there was a sound like several radios on full blast all at once, contrasting with the quiet take-off including discharge of flame. (The Vanguard, Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, 12/6/67, copy in NICAP files; U.F.O. Investigator, Vol. IV, No. 4, Jan.-Feb. 1968, p. 6.)


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?